Whoa, that's intense, dude!

 In-tents, that is.



Two years ago, I made this tent for my cat: http://fabricoftime.blogspot.com/2013/11/neils-tent-what-to-do-when-you-have-too.html, and all three of my cats loved it so much that I had to make more. The plans languished for a long time. It was surprisingly hard to find hula hoops to make the tent frames. After many months, I finally found some that were small and cheap enough, but the project languished even longer because it's frivolous and I always have more important sewing projects (sorry, cats).


Then one of my favorite blogs, Cation Designs, decided to host a cat themed sew-along this month: http://cationdesigns.blogspot.com/2015/09/introducing-put-cat-on-it-sew-along.html. I just read the post last week and was immediately inspired to make more cat tents. I hate to be a typical modern American and complain about how busy I am, but honestly, I am quite overwhelmed lately. However, this is such a simple project and the thought of participating in a sew-along in which I could connect with other cat loving sewists (as opposed to sewers, haha) really pushed me to get it done.




I figured out the design and construction the first time I made a tent, so the hard work was done. This time all I had to do was create the frames and sew the covers. I cut the hula hoops in half, drilled holes through the centers, and inserted wire to hold them together. I taped over the wire to keep it from snagging on fabric and cats. Then, I laid one side of a frame on a piece of paper to draw the triangular pattern piece.


I selected some printed cotton that would look tasteful, because cats need tasteful decor. I simplified my design and sewed everything with the seams on the inside and finished them with a zigzag stitch, as opposed to the elaborate bias tape bound seams of the first tent. It's beautiful, but not necessary, and it takes a lot of time to hand sew the bias tape. The new, simpler design is very efficient. It took me about a half an hour to create the frames and cut out the pattern pieces, then about an hour to sew both tents.



The new tents are smaller than the first. I didn't realize that until I cut the hula hoops, but I assumed it would work. Neil only uses about a third of the floor space in Tent #1 because he likes to curl up inside it. Tents 2 and 3 are a little small, but the cats seem to be okay with it. I'm so glad I finally made these, so they don't all have to fight over one tent. Thanks, Cation Designs!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18th century Garsault shirt

18th Century Hunting Shirt

Inserting gussets on a chemise