17th Century Trade Shirt: More Details

In my last post, I wrote about my St. Kateri costume, including the trade shirt. I wanted to add more information to my blog about how I made the shirt.


I learned how to make rectangular cut shirts from my mentor Sarah when I volunteered at a historical museum helping to make costumes for its interpreters. That experience really kick started my interest in reenacting and historic costuming. I learned so much from it, and only wish I could still be volunteering there!

Anyway, rectangular cut shirts are very simple and make efficient use of the fabric. Besides using this website about 16th and 17th century Native American clothing (http://www.squidoo.com/my-17th-19th-century-native-american-wardrobe), I found this great resource from The Renaissance Tailor that precisely outlines the process of making this style of shirt: http://www.renaissancetailor.com/demos_shirt.htm. I simplified it a little bit, but it's basically the same. I strongly recommend these sources to other costumers!

I'd also like to share these pictures of my friend Rachel's St. Kateri costume. She kindly agreed to let me post them on my blog. Thanks, Rachel!

Rachel portraying St. Kateri Tekakwitha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

18th century Garsault shirt

18th Century Hunting Shirt

Inserting gussets on a chemise